In my Food Science class, our first assignment was to read an article discussing a study that replaced the fat in brownies with cannellini beans. I have only ever made bean brownies with black beans before, so I searched for a recipe to try! The recipe that I found turned out great and definitely did not disappoint.
Cannellini Bean Brownies
The original recipe can be found here. Below, I am listing exactly what I used, as this recipe gives you options for certain ingredients.
- One 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed very well
- 2 Tbsp. dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- chopped walnuts, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray 8×8 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients, except walnuts, in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour batter into glass pan and sprinkle top with walnuts.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.
I was really happy with how these turned out! Very moist and fudge-like. YUM!
Have you ever used beans in a recipe to cut back on the fat?