I cannot believe Christmas is only 5 days away! I am so excited and part of my excitement is due to all of the cooking and baking I get to do this time of year!
For a delicious gluten free, vegetarian side dish on Christmas Day, I am making this Sweet Potato Casserole (based off of Ellie Krieger’s recipe, which is linked)
- 5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium sized chunks
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring some water to a boil and add sweet potatoes. Let them boil until tender, about 25 minutes.
- After draining, place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add the honey, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Using a hand mixer, beat until evenly combined. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and nuts together. Sprinkle on top of sweet potato mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
I absolutely love this dish! I adjusted the sweetness and spices to my liking, but it is a scrumptious recipe. Vegetarian or not, everyone will enjoy this dish at your holiday dinner.
What is your favorite dish to make for the holidays?